Opportunities for Providers of Water Treatment Services
The business of water treatment services was worth half a trillion dollars a year… five years ago. Five years from now, it will be worth a full trillion dollars. What’s going on?
Growing Population and Need for Water Treatment Services
- By 2020, close to half of the world’s population will be living in areas of scare water supply.
- By 2030, demand may exceed supply by 40% worldwide.
Perfect Storm of Demand
Four major factors are creating heightened demand for clean water in the U.S. and elsewhere:
- Contamination: Pollutants in the water supply are producing health and environmental risks, without wastewater infrastructures in place.
- Scarcity: Shortage of quality water for human consumption and agriculture.
- Regulation: New regulatory limits for disinfection byproducts, VOCs, perchlorates, & other contaminants are complicating wastewater treatment for end-users.
- Economics: Whether it be the recovery of usable product or total processing costs of salable product, economics is playing a larger role in management’s decisions.