All OriginClear intellectual property is managed by the technologies division which is entrusted with all licensing. This page lists the intellectual property developed in house, as well as technologies we have licensed.
In 2009, OriginClear invented its pioneering Single Step Extraction™ (SSE) process, and filed the first patent application on April 17, 2009. The SSE application has been issued as a patent in Australia (image), Japan (image), China (link) and Mexico. It has also been published by the European Patent Office (EPO) under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT). SSE is the foundation of our patents family, lending itself to the first stage of Electro Water Separation™.
In 2015, the United States Patent and Trademark Office granted OriginClear patent #9,085,745 for the first development of its two-stage electrocoagulation and electroflotation process, Electro Water Separation™ (EWS).
“This patent defines a tubular electro-contact design and a flotation concept that we have scaled up to become our EWS technology platform,” said Nicholas Eckelberry, OriginClear co-founder. “This was a key beginning for us. We have since advanced our understanding of this process; our later patents build on this important first discovery.”
In 2016 and 2017, OriginClear filed for additional patents, to complete EWS with its next-generation Advanced Oxidation (AOx) module. The two modules can be designed to operate in synergy, or as separate stand-alone modules.
In 2018, OriginClear developed AOxPlus™, a new method to produce hydroxyl radicals in large quantities to treat highly-contaminated waste water. We filed a provisional patent to protect this Intellectual Property on August 8th, 2018.
In October 2018, OriginClear’s portfolio was valued at $8 million by independent valuation expert, Cambridge Manhattan Group, LLC.
* OriginClear commissioned the report for a one-time fee of $2,000.
Today, EWS:AOx is our common platform for an array of solutions in multiple industries. We are working to create, maintain and optimize a strong Intellectual Property portfolio around this suite of inventions, ensuring our domination of those fields in which we operate.
We currently manage over 35 applications worldwide, supporting the key inventions in our portfolio.
OriginClear Technologies Portfolio Listing:
- Decentralized Blockchain Protocol
- Systems and Methods for Extracting Non-Polar Lipids
- Systems and Methods for Harvesting and Dewatering Algae
- Removing Ammonia from Water
- Producing Algae Biomass Having Reduced Concentration of Contaminants
- System and Method for Treating Wastewater
- System for removal of suspended solids and disinfection of water
- Electro-catalytic process for coalescing and skimming pollutants in bodies of water prior to filtration
- Producing Algae Biomass and Decontaminating Wastewater Utilizing a Series of Reactor Tubes with Mixed Metal Oxide Electrodes
- Systems and methods for reduction of total organic compounds in wastewater
- Advanced Oxidation Water Treatment Module
- Cathodic Peroxide Reactor
Early Stage Inventions
During its first two years of operation, OriginClear innovated across the entire spectrum of algae production and processing. Early inventions of the period included:
- Quantum Fracturing™
- Helix Bioreactor™
- Hydrogen Harvester™
- Optimizing Photosynthesis in Photo Bioreactor
OriginClear announced the transfer of Quantum Fracturing, the Helix Bioreactor and the Hydrogen Harvester to French joint venture, Ennesys, on October 22, 2013.
Licensed Technology: Modular Water Systems
In 2018, licensed six patents for the design and construction of wastewater treatment and pump stations using Structurally Reinforced Thermoplastics (SRTP) from Daniel Early, who is now the President of the Modular Water Systems division of OriginClear. Those patents include:
- Wastewater System & Method
- Steel Reinforced HDPE Rainwater Harvesting
- Wastewater Treatment System CIP
- Rapid Deployment Packaged Wastewater Treatment System
- Scum Removal System for Liquids
- Portable, Steel Reinforced HDPR Pump Station CIP
In 2018, OriginClear filed for a patent for WaterChain™, a blockchain protocol for the global water industry, utilizing the power of smart contracts to automate the complex chain of transactions that take place daily throughout the trillion-dollar global water industry. This patent is titled as:
- Decentralized Blockchain Protocol
The OriginClear® logo, wordmark and “O” symbol are registered trademarks worldwide. We have retained the OriginOil® registered trademark for future use.
The stylized WaterChain™ water drop, the WaterChain wordmark in combination with the water drop, and the wordmarks WaterChainCoin™ and WaterChainToken™ are trademarks of OriginClear.
We generally distribute our technology through licensing and joint ventures. To help you test your markets before committing to full-scale manufacturing, we supply proof-of-concept units and prototypes as well as limited-volume production runs. These systems will then be a reference for your own manufacturing. Our licenses are non-exclusive, but regional preferential treatment is negotiable (“Most Favored Nation”).
We can also establish partnerships for selected strategic projects, aimed at developing and proving specific new industry applications. If you think we may be able to help with your treatment challenge, contact us here!
Get It Now »